Free Brochure Book +44(0) 1225 632 165
# Plan

Travel insurance

Insurance hints and tips

Your insurance policy is there to cover any unexpected, undesirable and even unaffordable costs, like lost baggage or injury. Hopefully it will be a purchase that you’ll never actually use but before your trip we’ll ask for your policy details so that we can assist you in the event of an emergency.


One this page we'll cover:

1. When to buy your insurance

2. Things to consider

3. Insurance providers


It is highly recommended - and some travel insurance providers require it - that you purchase your policy at the same time as you book your Nonstop course. However, at the very latest you should have purchased cover three months or more before your trip starts so that you can make a claim if you have to cancel your trip. 


If you are a resident of Canada or the USA and joining us in Canada then you may feel your regular health insurance is sufficient cover. It is still really important that you take out travel insurance so that you can recoop course fees etc in instances such as if you were to get injured and had to miss all of / part of the course, your equipment being stolen etc.




Whatever you decide, please be sure the policy you are purchasing covers you sufficiently for your course. It is down to you as the consumer to research individual policies, find one that provides adequate cover for your needs and select one of your own accord. If you are aware of what is and what is not covered, you will avoid problems and undue stress should you need to make a claim. Here’s hoping it will never come to that!


Here are a few prompts past Nonstop participants have found helpful when researching the insurance policies on the market.




Ensure your policy covers snow sports in ‘North America’  or 'Europe', depending on where you are going, as well as continuous skiing for your entire trip duration. Ensure the policy covers “off-piste skiing with a guide”, and decide if you need cover for activities such as cat-skiing, snowmobiling, or heli-skiing.


Frustratingly not all insurance companies have the same definition for "off-piste" which means that you must do thorough research to ensure that you're covered. On a Nonstop course you'll be skiing/riding throughout the resort both on groomed and on ungroomed slopes (which may or may not have trail names). Some of those areas will be in amongst the trees. Additionally, for some optional activities such as our avalanche awareness courses, our ski touring, and our winter camping, you'll be skiing/snowboarding with a guide in the "backcountry" which is ungroomed and unpatrolled terrain outside of the resort boundaries.


In some countries (e.g. UK) if the policy stipulates that off-piste skiing/snowboarding with an instructor/guide is covered, then the cover may be sufficient because in Canada, "off-piste" is the area outside the resort boundaries, not covered by ski patrol. When you do go outside these boundaries on a Nonstop activity you will be with a guide, therefore covered. If you choose to go out-of-bounds without a guide, you could invalidate the policy and not be covered.


In other countries (e.g. Australia) we've found that different companies have different definitions of "off-piste" so it is essential that you describe what you will be doing and get a written confirmation of what their policy covers. This should include a written definition of how your insurance company defines “off piste” and any other activities they have as exclusions.




On our instructor courses, please ensure that your insurance policy covers the park as you will occasionally be in the park with your instructor. Park with guide instructor is ample cover but means that you won't be covered if you want to spend time in the park outside of lessons. 




It’s important to take into consideration two factors. One, what is the total amount paid out in the event of loss of baggage (e.g. £2000) and two, what is the single item cover amount? Your skis are considered one item and if they are worth £500 and your single item cover is only £250 you will be in for a shock when you claim for the full amount! The total amount is what the company will go up to, comprised of the combined amount of all single items claimed for.




It is worth noting how much you will get back should you have to cancel your course (before it has started). Some will pay 50% some will pay 100%. Make sure you understand exactly how much your policy will cover and in what scenarios.


It is important that all our participants understand that Nonstop cannot provide any refunds in the event of an injury that prevents them completing their course.




This part is vital and needs careful consideration. One company we asked said they would pay £75 per day! Sounds good hey? But they followed it up by saying £75 a day up to £450. So basically you get money for a total of six days. If you get hurt on the first day that leaves ten weeks you will not receive money for. Some companies will cover you for more than this but it will come at a cost. The more cover you want, the more you will have to pay for it.


Insurance providers


Please note, we cannot recommend any particular provider or policy and we ask that you check insurance provider’s terms and thoroughly research their cover to ensure that you buy a policy that adequately covers your needs. Pay particular attention to curtailment and medical cover.


An insurance provider who has been popular with our past clients:



We've researched a lot of insurance policies and, surprisingly, most companies don't include cover for "off-piste skiing/snowboarding in North America". Clearly, if you're going on a Nonstop course you'll be skiing/riding powder within, and outside, the resort boundaries (e.g. cat skiing). Luckily, World Nomads “Third Level Adventure Sports” policy is more comprehensive than most. Before purchasing a policy remember to thoroughly check that the cover is suitable for you. If in doubt, contact the Service Team at World Nomads.




MPI offer extensive winter sports cover and are very experienced in providing policies for instructor training courses and longer ski/snowboard trips, something that many insurers will not cover. Off-piste cover is available when with a guide (you will always be with a guide / instructor during your Nonstop lessons) Find out more HERE




Coming from the UK? Trailfinders Offer an extensive winter sports package, and Covid cover too. Their winter sports option will cover off-piste skiing/snowboarding with a guide, and there are options to ensure that all the activities that you want covered can be added on. For some, there may be a limit to the number of days they are willing to cover. As always with insurance it's a good idea to speak to the provider rather than try and do it online as it's not always clear when it comes to the nitty gritty bits. You can use their contact form here: Trailfinders - The Travel Experts or call on 020 7408 9005


Trailfinders can also help out with flights. Visit out travel pages for more information: 


Travel to Fernie

Travel to Banff




Covers for most COVID eventualities. Currently valid for FCDO travel warning but COVID cover will be removed in this instance. Winter sports cover includes off piste (but within resort boundary). Can Cover for some terrain park activities but with exclusions for jumping. Covers for a ski/snowboard instructor course. Several options for different levels to include cancellation and curtailment costs. DOES NOT: include cover for jumping in the park




In recent years we have also had clients use the following insurance companies and comment on how satisfied they were with the service they received:



Fast Cover – Snow Cover

1 Cover Travel Insurance

Defence Health Travel Insurance



Globetrotter Reisverzekering


Europeesche Verzekeringen Netherlands



Europe Assistance




Allianz Global Assistance




Cover More




Chartis South Africa




ERV / ERGO (use ERGO10 for 10% off)

Ski Club Great Britain



World Nomads

United Health Care

Travel Guard

Blue Cross/Blue Shield



World Nomads


Allianz Global Assistance



World Nomads


Allianz Global Assistance



Paying FOr Treatment

It is really important that you bring a credit card to Canada in case you need to pay medical bills after an injury or illness - it is a requirement for visiting Canada that you have instant access to the funds to pay for medical treatment. On average, a visit to the emergency room for a non-resident of Canada costs $1100 - this includes lab work, xrays but not the cost of further treatment. A short ambulance trip to the hospital will add on an additional $500 - $800.

An appointment with a doctor at a walk-in clinic will cost around $200

These costs will need to be paid upfront and then you can claim them back from your insurance provider which will take a little while. For bigger hospital bills - IE a hospital stay / surgery - most insurance providers will deal directly with the hospital to pay the bills but you may wish to check what the process with your provider.





While we are not authorised to recommend any particular policy, we can help with questions you might want to ask insurers so get in touch if you have any concerns about insurance. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Call Me Back

Thank you for your message

We look forward to speaking with you.